Friday, July 29, 2011

Post Script for the Day

EVERYONE speaks English and can effortlessly switch from one language to the other.  I've been asked questions in Norwegian by a few people--like "is this chair available?",  "are you leaving?" and "where are the gates?".  All it takes is an "excuse me?" and immediate English with the same question.

Norwegian SIM cards for mobile phones are available at every Kiosk.  I bought one.  That gives me a local number on my Blackberry and no bouncing calls back to the US and no roaming charges, so I can call all four people that I know in Norway all I want for cheap.  BUT, all mobile phones are registered via phone or online--no problem since I have my netbook.  Another but, to get phone access, everyone has to enter their 11 digit Norwegian identity number.  Well, that I don't have, so I went back to the Kiosk and the manager had to fill out a form with my passport information, FAX it somewhere, and told me in about an hour I should have phone access.  Kinda big brotherish, but I bet there's not very many illegal aliens here! 

After the attacks and bombing last week, I expected security around the airport to be greatly enhanced.  Not so.  I have not seen a soldier, policeman, or a gun all day. I had to go back through security after clearing Norwegian customs and it is much more lax than the US.  Same inside the airport, no one seems to have a care in the world!  Maybe the news of the attacks was just American propaganda!

This is the only time I am going to mention how expensive Norway is.  A bottle of water was about $6 and a latte was $10.  If something is just too outrageous to go without my comment, I might have to mention it, but otherwise, I'm going to let it go and enjoy spending every kroner!!

No comments:

Post a Comment