Friday, August 5, 2011

The End of the Coastal Steamer Trip


Time has gone by so fast—can’t believe we’re already docking in Bergen tomorrow afternoon! 

The weather  has been fabulous with dry, sunny days that are so warm, the locals are wearing shorts and tank tops. I loved sitting out on the sun deck, watching the dramatic scenery pass by and reading my book. Also, like Seattle, everything looks better in the sun.

The Hurtigruten is a once in a lifetime trip where I went from the extreme north and the frontier town of Kirkenes traveling  even  further north to the northernmost towns in the world and then  spent 4 more days slowly moving along the protected west coast waters to arrive in Bergen tomorrow. The scenery was absolutely spectacular as anyone who has ever looked at a book about Norway knows.  There were several places that I wanted to spend more time exploring  and less time on the boat. I’d loved to have gotten off the boat in Kristiansund and drove the 8.2 km trip on the “Atlantic Road”, built with eight bridges and won  “Engineering Feat of the Century “ award in 2005.  One of the few remaining stave churches is along this route.  People who took this tour raved about it  .Next time.

The shore stops were definitely geared to drop off and pick up supplies, machinery and passengers, not for my sightseeing convenience!  Several times, I had one hour and even ½ hour in port.  When it was ½ hr stops, I watched from the deck and didn’t bother to get off.  Even on longer stops, I was always looking at my watch to make sure I could get back to the boat on time.  But again, I certainly saw a lot of towns and the scenery was spectacular.

Tronheim is another place that I’d like to spend more time.  Currently Norway’s third largest city, it traces it’s roots back to 997AD when the Vikings ruled the world—or their little corner of it anyway! .  The town is noted for it’s timbered houses dating from that period.  The Bakke Bru Bridge gives you a photo op of not only the bridge, but colorful warehouses that are being restored as homes and shops.  Also legend says that if you wish for something really hard while walking across Bakke Bru, your wish will come true—I’ll let you know! Tronheim was the old capital of Norway Nidaros (old Norwegian for Tronheim) Cathedral is Scandanavia’s largest medieval building and was erected over the grave of the first king of Norway, St. Olaf.  It remains the site of coronations ofthe Kings of Norway with the last being King Harald V in 1991.   I was surprised that the cathedral was open at 8:30 this morning and when I walked in a red robed person handed me a program and a hymnal.  As I read the program, it’s pilgrimage for St. Olaf from July 28 to Aug. 4 and this church service was part of the celebration.  The reformation might have brought Lutherism to Norway, but the prayer and recitations are straight out of a Catholic mass.  Outside a medieval fair was just setting up for another day of festivities.  (The music on July 30 and 31 was provided by Pacific Lutheran University Choral Group! It’s a small world.)


No comments:

Post a Comment