Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Last thoughts on Cuba

Cuba was not what I expected.  The third world aspect surprised me.  The people were always helpful, warm and inviting.  Several times their "helpfulness" led us to a friend's restaurant,  a relative's shop, or a request for money to buy milk for their non-existent baby.  I can't imagine living in a place where crumbling beauty is all around and you have to work hard to get enough food to eat.  Where you don't practice the professions for which you trained years and instead opt for the tips of the tour industry as bus boys, waiters and tour guides.

At this stage, the US Embargo seems not only silly, but certainly gives the Cuban people a cause to unite behind--it's an easy target on which to blame all of their problems.  This thinking seems to be encouraged by the Castro government.  Many people in their talks to us requested that we talk to our congresspeople and let them know what the Embargo is doing to the Cuban people.  I wonder if their own domestic policies are most of the problem?

Cuba has a vibrant art and music community that makes me want to know more about the artist we viewed in the Museum of Modern Cuban Art like Mariano Rodriguez, Wifredo Lam, Rene Portoz Arrero and Mario Carreno.   I first saw the Cuban music scene in the movie "Buena Vista Social Club" and there are talented musicians everywhere, playing in bars, restaurant lobbies, and on the streets.

Cuban coffee is a delight and I drank a lot of it.  I really wanted to bring some back, it is forbidden by the Embargo.   I won't miss the sweet evaporated-milk-taste of their cappucinos!

Forgive any mistakes I've made in this writing.  Information came in many ways and I don't claim to have "the truth" about a very complicated social and political Cuba.
Sunset from our room in Varadero

No comments:

Post a Comment